5 Investment Accounts Every Kenyan Should Consider Having — And What Each One Is Actually For
There is something I have noticed whenever we start talking about investing.
The conversation becomes complicated very quickly.
Someone asks about shares.
Another person talks about Treasury bonds.
Someone else recommends a SACCO.
Then you hear about money market funds, unit trusts, real estate, offshore investments, ETFs, pension funds and maybe a WhatsApp group promising unbelievable returns.
Before long, the person who originally wanted to start investing is sitting there wondering:
“Where am I even supposed to start?”
And honestly, I don't think investing is as complicated as we sometimes make it sound.
I think most people are simply not shown how the pieces fit together.
We often start with the wrong question.
“Which investment should I buy?”
I prefer to start somewhere else:
“What job do I want my money to do?”
Because money for an emergency should not necessarily be managed in the same way as money you won't need for ten years.
Money you are saving for a short-term goal has a different purpose from money you are investing for retirement.
And money you want to use to buy shares is different from money you want to keep available for an unexpected hospital bill.
Once you understand that, investing starts becoming much easier to understand.
You stop looking for one magical investment that is supposed to do everything.
Instead, you start building a structure.
And for someone in Kenya who is trying to become more intentional with saving and investing, there are five accounts or investment structures I would seriously consider exploring.
Not because everyone needs all five.
Not because having five accounts automatically makes you financially successful.
But because each can potentially give a different part of your money a specific job.
And that, for me, is where the real conversation about investing begins
Before We Open Any Account: Start With the Foundation
Let me start with something that may sound boring.
Before you start opening investment accounts, you need to understand your own financial situation.
How much do you earn?
How much do you spend?
Do you have expensive debt?
Do you have an emergency fund?
What are you investing for?
When will you need the money?
How much volatility can you realistically tolerate?
These questions matter.
The Capital Markets Authority's investor guidance similarly encourages investors to examine their financial objectives, income, constraints and risk tolerance before investing, and specifically cautions beginners against borrowing money to invest in volatile capital-market investments.
That is why I don't like telling someone:
“Just buy shares.”
Buy shares for what purpose?
For money you need next month?
Probably not.
For a 15-year wealth-building goal?
Now we're having a different conversation.
The investment should fit the purpose.
Not the other way around.
1. A Money Market Fund — Give Your Short-Term Money Somewhere to Sit
Let's start with something relatively simple.
A Money Market Fund (MMF) can be useful for money that you want to keep relatively accessible while potentially earning a return, depending on the fund's investment strategy, fees, terms and market conditions.
I particularly like the way an MMF can create a psychological separation between:
money I can spend
and
money I have deliberately put aside.
That distinction matters.
Because sometimes the biggest problem isn't that we don't earn enough.
It is that everything we earn sits in the same place.
Your salary comes into your account.
Your rent goes out.
Your M-Pesa transactions go out.
Your weekend spending comes out.
Your subscriptions come out.
Your unexpected expenses come out.
And somewhere in the middle of all that, you tell yourself:
“I should have saved something.”
By then, the money has already found other jobs.
An MMF can help create another bucket.
What could you use it for?
I would think about an MMF for things such as:
- part of an emergency fund;
- short-term savings;
- money you are setting aside for a planned expense;
- money waiting for a longer-term investment decision;
- a financial buffer that you don't want mixed with your everyday spending.
But there is an important distinction.
An MMF is not the same thing as a normal savings account.
It is an investment product, and the return is not something you should treat as guaranteed simply because you saw a particular rate advertised.
The CMA lists money market funds among regulated collective investment schemes in Kenya, alongside equity, bond/fixed-income and balanced funds.
So when considering one, I would not simply ask:
“Which MMF has the highest rate?”
I would ask:
Who manages it?
Is it properly licensed or approved?
What does the fund invest in?
What are the fees?
How quickly can I access my money?
What are the terms?
How has it performed over time?
The CMA also advises investors to deal with licensed entities and to understand the investment before committing money.
The job of this bucket
For me, the job of this money is liquidity and preparation.
Your emergency fund doesn't need to make you rich.
It needs to be there when your car breaks down.
When your income temporarily disappears.
When an unexpected bill arrives.
When life decides to remind you that your monthly budget cannot predict everything.
That is why I wouldn't measure this bucket only by return.
Access and suitability matter too.
Before deciding where to put your emergency fund, it is worth understanding why having a financial buffer should come before chasing investment returns. Read our guide on building an emergency fund and creating financial security.
A SACCO BOSA Account — Build the Discipline Around Saving
If you've spent any amount of time around personal finance in Kenya, you've probably heard someone say:
“Join a SACCO.”
And there is a reason SACCOs have become such an important part of financial life for many Kenyans.
But I want us to slow down here.
Don't join a SACCO simply because someone told you:
“You will get a loan.”
That's not enough.
The more important question is:
“Does this particular SACCO fit the financial life I am trying to build?”
A BOSA—commonly referring to the Back Office Service Activity side of a SACCO—is generally associated with member savings and credit services.
Depending on the SACCO and its rules, members may save regularly, qualify for certain member benefits and potentially access credit based on the SACCO's requirements.
But this is where I want to encourage people to do their homework.
Before putting your money into any SACCO, look at things such as:
- governance;
- financial performance;
- membership requirements;
- fees and charges;
- savings requirements;
- dividend or rebate history;
- loan terms;
- interest rates;
- liquidity;
- withdrawal rules;
- the SACCO's regulatory status;
- and whether its structure actually fits your goals.
Because there is a big difference between:
“This SACCO gives loans.”
and
“This SACCO is appropriate for my financial plan.”
Those are not the same statement.
Why I like the idea of a separate SACCO savings structure
There is a behavioural advantage here.
You are creating a commitment.
If your salary enters your normal account and everything remains available for spending, saving becomes a monthly negotiation with yourself.
But if you have deliberately created a savings structure where you contribute consistently, you begin changing the behaviour.
And that's important because wealth isn't built only through financial products.
It is built through financial behaviour repeated over time.
Imagine someone earning KSh 60,000.
They decide that KSh 6,000 will leave their normal spending environment every month and go toward a long-term savings objective.
The first month, it may feel painful.
The third month, it feels normal.
The twelfth month, it has become part of their financial identity.
That's the bigger win.
Not simply the amount.
The habit.
Read our guide on why it is important to have separate accounts.
3. A CDS Account — Your Gateway to Listed Shares
Now we move into a different part of the investment conversation.
Suppose you want to own shares of companies listed on the Nairobi Securities Exchange (NSE).
You need the appropriate securities infrastructure to hold and transact in those investments.
This is where the Central Depository System (CDS) account comes in.
A CDS is a computerised system operated by the Central Depository and Settlement Corporation that facilitates the holding of securities in electronic accounts.
This is important because buying shares isn't simply like walking into a shop and saying:
“Give me 100 shares.”
There is an actual market structure behind the transaction.
You need an appropriate intermediary and account.
And this is where beginners need to slow down.
The question shouldn't simply be:
“Which Kenyan company should I buy?”
Before that, ask:
Why am I investing in shares?
Are you investing for dividends?
Capital growth?
Long-term wealth?
Portfolio diversification?
Are you comfortable with prices moving up and down?
Can you hold through periods when the market isn't behaving the way you expected?
Because shares are not a savings account.
Their value can fluctuate.
You can make money.
You can also lose money.
And this is precisely why I encourages investors to understand their risk profile, conduct research and avoid putting all their money into one investment.
This is where investing becomes personal
Imagine two people.
Person A needs KSh 200,000 in six months to pay university fees.
Person B has KSh 200,000 that they don't expect to need for the next ten years.
Should they necessarily invest that money in exactly the same way?
I wouldn't think so.
Person A has a short-term obligation.
Person B has a longer investment horizon.
Same amount of money.
Completely different job.
That's why I keep coming back to the question:
“What is this money for?”
If shares are new to you, don't start by asking which company will make you rich. Start by understanding the basics of investing and how to build a long-term investment mindset
4. A DhowCSD Account — Access to Government Securities
This is another area where I think Kenyan investors can benefit from understanding the infrastructure rather than simply following investment trends.
If you're interested in Treasury bills and Treasury bonds, you can access Kenya's government securities market through the Central Bank of Kenya's DhowCSD platform.
DhowCSD allows individuals and organisations to open CSD accounts and participate in government securities investments. Investors can use the platform for Treasury bills and Treasury bonds, including primary and secondary market transactions.
Treasury bills are short-term government securities with maturities of 91, 182 and 364 days, while Treasury bonds generally cover medium- to long-term periods.
This creates another possible component in a portfolio.
And I think it is useful because it introduces a different type of investment exposure from simply holding shares.
For example, you may have:
- an emergency fund;
- SACCO savings;
- shares;
- and government securities.
Each serves a different purpose.
Treasury bills versus Treasury bonds
A Treasury bill is a short-term government security.
A Treasury bond is generally a medium- to long-term government debt instrument.
Treasury bills as 91-, 182- and 364-day instruments, while Treasury bonds can have much longer maturities.
That difference matters.
If I know I don't want to touch a portion of my money for several years, I can evaluate longer-term government securities differently from money I may need within a few months.
And importantly, you should understand that government securities are still investments.
There are terms, maturity periods, interest structures, taxation considerations and market mechanics to understand.
Don't invest simply because somebody said:
“Government bonds are safe.”
Understand what you are buying.
5. An Account or Structure for Offshore Investments — Think Beyond Kenya
This is where the conversation gets particularly interesting.
For a long time, many Kenyan investors thought about diversification almost entirely within Kenya.
Kenyan property.
Kenyan shares.
Kenyan businesses.
Kenyan SACCOs.
Kenyan government securities.
And there is absolutely nothing wrong with investing locally.
But diversification can also mean thinking geographically.
What happens if almost all your assets, income and business exposure are tied to the same economy?
You may eventually want to understand how to gain exposure to investments outside Kenya.
That could include international companies, global funds or exchange-traded funds where accessible and appropriate.
I would be careful about presenting this as:
“Open a foreign account and start buying American stocks tomorrow.”
It isn't that simple.
You need to understand the platform or intermediary, regulation, fees, currency conversion, taxation, investment risk and the specific products available to you.
But the principle is worth understanding:
Your financial world does not have to stop at the Kenyan border.
Kenya's capital-markets ecosystem itself includes investment structures with global or foreign-currency exposure, and the CMA continues to approve investment products with offshore and international-market exposure.
The point isn't to chase foreign investments because they sound sophisticated.
The point is diversification.
If a suitable global investment forms part of your long-term strategy, it can potentially give your portfolio exposure to businesses, sectors and markets that aren't available locally.
But again:
Understand first. Invest second.
Five Accounts Does Not Mean Five Investments
This is probably the most important part of the whole article.
When I say:
- Money Market Fund
- SACCO BOSA
- CDS account
- DhowCSD
- Offshore investment structure
I am not saying that every Kenyan needs to open all five tomorrow.
That would completely miss the point.
I'm talking about financial architecture.
Think about your house.
You don't put your bedroom, kitchen, bathroom and garage in the same room simply because they're all part of the house.
They have different functions.
Your money can work the same way.
You don't need every shilling sitting in one place.
The Bigger Mistake Is Not Having the Wrong Account
Sometimes people ask:
“Which investment account is the best?”
I don't think that's always the right question.
The bigger problem can be having no structure at all.
If all your money comes into one account and everything gets paid from that same account, it becomes incredibly difficult to see what your money is actually doing.
Your salary arrives.
Rent leaves.
Food leaves.
M-Pesa withdrawals happen.
You send money home.
You buy something online.
You pay school fees.
You go out with friends.
Then one day you check the balance.
“Where did all the money go?”
I've heard that question many times.
And sometimes the answer isn't that the person is financially irresponsible.
They simply haven't given the money separate jobs.
Give Every Shilling a Job
This is one of the simplest principles I would like someone starting their financial journey to understand.
Your money needs direction.
Some money should protect you.
Some money should help you achieve short-term goals.
Some money should build long-term wealth.
Some money should create opportunities.
Some money should provide diversification.
And some money should simply be spent and enjoyed.
Yes.
Enjoyed.
Financial planning isn't about putting every shilling away and living a miserable life.
The point is to become intentional.
If you know that KSh 5,000 is for your emergency fund, you don't have to feel guilty about spending KSh 3,000 on dinner.
The problem isn't necessarily spending.
The problem is spending without knowing what the spending is costing you.
What Would This Look Like in Real Life?
Let's take a simple example.
Suppose someone earns KSh 80,000 per month.
Instead of thinking:
“I have KSh 80,000 to spend.”
They could begin thinking:
“I have KSh 80,000 that needs to perform several jobs.”
Maybe part goes toward household expenses.
Part goes toward an emergency fund.
Part goes toward SACCO savings.
Part toward long-term investments.
Part toward government securities when appropriate.
And eventually, part could be allocated to a globally diversified investment.
The exact percentages would depend on the person's income, responsibilities, debt, goals, risk tolerance and existing assets.
That's why I don't like giving everyone one universal formula.
Your financial plan should make sense for your life.
A single person earning KSh 80,000 isn't necessarily in the same financial position as a parent earning the same amount.
Someone with a mortgage isn't in the same position as someone living debt-free.
Someone with an established emergency fund isn't in the same position as someone who has KSh 10,000 in their account and three dependants.
Personal finance is personal for a reason.
Don't Confuse Diversification With Collecting Products
There is another trap I want to highlight.
Once people learn about investing, they can start collecting financial products.
A SACCO here.
An MMF there.
Three brokerage accounts.
A government bond.
A piece of land.
A business.
An offshore account.
Then suddenly they have ten different investments but no idea what percentage of their wealth is actually invested where.
That's not necessarily diversification.
That's financial clutter.
Diversification should reduce concentration risk and help align your portfolio with your goals.
It shouldn't make your finances impossible to understand.
Diversify across investment products and within asset classes while regularly reviewing whether the portfolio remains aligned with financial goals.
So I would rather have five well-understood financial structures than fifteen products I opened because someone on social media told me they were "the next big thing."
The Account Is Not the Investment
This is another distinction I want to make.
Opening a CDS account doesn't automatically make you wealthy.
Opening DhowCSD doesn't automatically make you financially secure.
Joining a SACCO doesn't automatically make you financially disciplined.
Opening an MMF doesn't automatically solve your financial problems.
The account is the structure.
Your decisions determine what happens inside that structure.
It is like opening a gym membership.
The membership isn't the exercise.
You still have to show up.
In the same way, opening an investment account is not the wealth-building activity by itself.
You need a plan.
You need consistency.
You need patience.
You need to understand risk.
And you need to keep reviewing whether your money is still doing what you intended it to do.
If you're still at the beginning of your financial journey, start with the books we've reviewed in our guide to the five finance books to start your financial journey with
So, Where Should You Start?
If you're completely new to investing, I wouldn't start by trying to open five accounts.
Start with the question:
What financial problem am I trying to solve?
If you don't have an emergency fund, start there.
If you struggle with disciplined saving, explore a structure that helps you build that habit.
If you're ready for long-term exposure to listed companies, learn about the CDS system and the appropriate licensed intermediaries.
If government securities fit your goals, understand DhowCSD.
If your portfolio is heavily concentrated in Kenya and you have the financial capacity and appropriate access, learn about global diversification.
One step at a time.
You don't have to understand the entire investment world before you invest your first shilling.
But you should understand why you are investing that shilling.
Final Thought: Don't Just Build Wealth. Build Financial Structure.
I think one of the biggest misconceptions about investing is that successful investors must know some secret that the rest of us don't.
Sometimes there is no secret.
There is simply structure.
They know what money is for.
They know what they can afford to risk.
They know when they need their money.
They understand their investments.
They diversify appropriately.
And they give their money enough time to work.
That is the conversation I want WithShimami to keep having.
Not:
“Buy this and become rich.”
But:
“Understand your money. Understand your options. Then make intentional decisions.”
Because financial freedom isn't built by chasing every investment opportunity that appears on your phone.
It is built by creating a financial system that can survive real life.
Your emergency happens.
Your income changes.
The market falls.
Your family responsibilities increase.
An opportunity appears.
Your priorities change.
Your financial structure should be able to adapt.
So don't open five accounts because I told you to.
Open the structures that make sense for the life you're trying to build.
And remember:
The goal isn't to have more accounts.
The goal is to give your money more purpose.
If you're considering different investment options and you're not sure where to begin, DM me “INVEST.” We can have a conversation about the options, risks and considerations and how they may fit into your financial goals.
To financial freedom.
